Rats are some of the most intelligent critters that any homeowner has to deal with. As annoying as they can be, these rodents are incredibly cute that is until they damage and contaminate your business or home with droppings. Moreover, they are resilient and can fall over four stories (approximately 50 feet) without getting injured. That being said, here are 10 other amazing facts about rats that you need to know.
1) According to the latest findings, almost 13,000 cases of rat attacks are reported every year in the U.S. alone. However, health officials have gone as far to state that there are plenty more that go unreported.
2) Rats are not only curious, but they are incredibly shy at the same time. When confronted by a potential threat, rats prefer to retreat. On the other hand, they are unusually clean and spend several spend hours of the day grooming themselves or other members of the group.
3) Just like any other human being, rats too succumb to peer-pressure as well. It has been noted that brown rats tend to disregard personal experience and prefer copying the behavior of their peers instead.
4) It has also been noted that when rats are happy, they tend to grind or chatter their teeth. Moreover, it is also often followed with vibrating eyes.
5) The front incisors of a rat are incredibly strong. In fact they are rated at 5.5 by the Mohs hardness scale. This actually means that rats can gnaw their way through iron, copper, steel and even concrete without any problems whatsoever.
6) Smaller rats can easily make their way through a hole the size of a quarter. Whereas, larger rats can squeeze through an opening less than half an inch.
7) According to a latest study conducted by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife, it has been noted that rat born diseases have taken more lives than the revolutions and wars combined in the last 10 centuries.
8) There are species of rats that not only can swim but can do so for over a mile in open waters. Additionally, they are capable of treading water for three days without breaking a sweat.
9) Many fire investigators claim that almost 25% of all fires without a cause or unknown origin may be caused by mice and rats.
10) Rats can do without water for a considerable amount of time, often longer than camels themselves.
As amazing as these rodents can be, they can cause a lot of havoc. If you think your business or home might have a rat infestation, it would be wise to take care of it as soon as possible.
Got Rats ? Get This > Best Rat Zapper